Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Twins Are In

For someone that has no experience with any of this, I think yesterday went really well. I woke up excited and nervous about the whole process.

We had to arrive an hour before the procedure to allow for the acupuncture. This meant I needed to start my water guzzling a little early. You need to drink 32 ozs. of water before the procedure. After my acupuncture we waited for the embryologists to come and get us. By this time, I was miserable. My bladder was so ridiculously full that I was in pain, I thought I would cry. To top it all off, they were running a little late. NO!

The embryologist came to talk to us. She brought us pictures of all 5 embryos. She explained to us that 2 were no longer viable, 1 we would be able to freeze, and 2 were perfect for transfer today. Of the 2, one looks like a big rock star. To me, it looks like a boy and a girl. My Mother told me last night that she thinks that the big one will split into two and we will end up with triplets!

They brought us into the procedure room and had me hop up on the ultrasound table. My husband had to put on all the medical garb, hat, shoes, mask. He looked so cute; I loved it! When they looked at me with the ultrasound the Dr told me I got an A+ for filling my bladder. They knew I was so uncomfortable. He explained to us that if your bladder is full it gives them more of a straight shot to the uterus. In that case, my discomfort was definitely worth it.

I have to say that I think the whole process is pretty cool. You can see on the ultrasound screen when the embryos go shooting in. It actually gave me goosebumps. If we end up pregnant, neither Bill or I will forget that feeling or that moment. It was amazing.

The embryologist did tell us that the procedure went amazing well and the embryos ended up exactly where they needed them to be. I just had to lie there for 10 more minutes before I got to go to the restroom. Amen! We had our second round of acupuncture for the day and then we could go home. I am on bed rest for 3 days now.

I realized on the way home that Bill and I got married 5 months ago to the day. It hadn't dawned on me until then. It rained on our wedding day and so many people told us that was good for fertility. Who knows, maybe us having our egg transfer on that particular day is a good omen.

I am going to be praying, praying, praying for the next 10 days. I have a really good feeling about this and am very hopeful that at the end of this we will find ourselves pregnant and then of course stay pregnant.

The twins are in; they just need to stay put now.


  1. Congratulations on being PUPO!!

    You know, they always say you need to drink a BUNCH of water but in reality you can get away just a mildly full bladder for the most part. :-) Is your uterus really retroverted or something though? That might be a reason to go for a really full bladder (ie, flatten it out).

    If you ever have to go through this again (knock on wood that you are done!), ask them for a bedpan so that you don't have to get up to pee and you can just relax and visualize your little beans settling down for 9 months of slumber. My current clinic automatically brings you one so you don't have to get up and then has you remain flat for 30 minutes after transfer.

    Fingers crossed for a big BFP!!

  2. Hey girl! Good Luck I'll be following! I'm married2mrpooh on the boards and on the boards. Our betas are the same day!!! Let's keep up with eachother.

  3. Just found your blog and catching up! Wishing you all the best for this cycle. I'm enjoying learning about your experience... my stimulation phase is to begin Thanksgiving week...

  4. Those are two beautiful embryos! I hope they stick around for about 9 months!

  5. I am pulling for you. I that you joined me on BlogFrog and wanted to see how things went. Come follow me on:
    I just started a new infertility blog that you may be interested in.