Saturday, October 23, 2010

Here I Go!

I guess I am doing this... I thought this blog would be a good way to work through my thoughts as I approach this next step in my journey.

A little background on me. I am like many women today, finding myself 41 and wanting to start a family. I found my soulmate a little late in life-we met two years ago and just got married in June. I have worked for the same company for 17 years. Bill and I have also started our own company; Code Blue Computing which is his life long dream. Bill is amazing and I wouldn't change a thing as it relates to that. However, we have been trying to get pregnant for over a year. Back in August we thought our dreams had come true but I miscarried at 6 weeks. Absolutely, the most heartbreaking event of our lives.

Through all of the testing it has been pretty much determined that there is not really anything wrong with us. I think it is just the age issue. I have become addicted to Teen Mom recently and can honestly say fertility really is wasted on the young!

So now, we have decided to move full steam ahead with IVF. I think I am most worried that we will have to go through another miscarriage. I have heard of women going through multiple miscarriages and they really have my admiration. I just don't see myself as being that strong. We are lucky my company offers full insurance coverage so our out of pocket will be minimal compared with what most people have to pay. The company I work for is headquartered out of NJ; which is one of 15 states I believe that mandates IVF coverage. I think this is something that will really need to be looked at in the future. So many women struggle with infertility.

The last week has been spent on the phone going between the Dr's office and Cigna Mail Order Pharmacy trying to get my order shipped out. The original pharmacy the Dr called the order into couldn't bill Cigna for some reason. So they could either transfer the prescription or have us pay $7500.00 and file for reimbursement from Cigna. No thanks!

Finally, today the Fedex truck pulled up with two full boxes for us from the pharmacy. Needles, syringes, medications we will need to mix daily for injections in either the stomach or the thigh, and lots of pills. The amount of medication needed for this chance at a family is staggering to me. Bill is afraid of needles but will be powering through it to give me my daily injections. That is one of the sweetest gestures ever made towards me.

We are supposed to start the injections on Thursday with our egg retrieval tentatively scheduled for November 9th.

I guess that is it for now. I am excited and nervous as we start this journey but am ready to get going to see what the future holds for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment